Medical Assistance is a health insurance program for Minnesotans with lower incomes. Children up to age 21, parents, pregnant women, people leaving MFIP, adults without children and people who are elderly, blind or disabled can all access Medical Assistance. For more information on Medical Assistance click here.
Applying online using the MnSure website is the recommended way for applying for a Minnesota Health Care Program (Medical Assistance, MinnesotaCare and Advanced Premium Tax Credits).
Assistance in applying for health care programs is available through the navigator/in-person assister program. Please contact the Assistance Agency listed above to get help filling out the application.
What you may need to apply (verification documents):
- Proof of U.S. citizenship such as passport or birth certificate
- Proof of identity such as a driver’s license, school identification or Minnesota identification card
- Proof of acceptable immigration status such as a visa, passport, or green card (Pregnant women do not need to supply proof of immigration status)
- Copies of medical bills for past three months if applying for retroactive coverage
For everyone in the household:
- Proof of pregnancy (if applicable) such as a doctor’s statement
- Proof of income for the past 30 days such as pay stubs or employer statement (or proof of income for past three months if applying for retroactive coverage)
- Proof of income from other sources other than work (unemployment, pensions, annuities, dividends or other taxable interest, Social Security, disability payments, worker’s compensation, alimony, and/or rent or royalties.)
Do not send original documents. Make a copy of all proofs that you have been asked to send.