Energy Assistance Program

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps people with lower incomes to pay their heating/energy and water bills during the fall, winter, and spring months. EAP is available to many households with lower incomes, including homeowners and renters. For more information on EAP click here.

Application Information

The Minnesota Energy Assistance Programs Application is available at your county contact or you can get one on this website. Applications are available and processed from October 1 to May 31. While the EAP program year ends May 31, households can still send in an application and get on the list for possible Weatherization Assistance Program services and to automatically be sent an application before the start of the next program year.

What you may need to apply (verification documents):

  • Recent copies of your utility bills
  • Proof of earned and unearned income
  • Copy of Final Utility Termination Notice (if you have received a shut-off notice from your energy company)
  • Social security numbers of household members and proof of residence in the county in which you are applying.

Do not send original documents. Make a copy of all proofs that you are including with your application.