Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a federal tax credit. It is mostly for low-income working parents, or guardians. If you qualify, you will either pay less on your federal income tax or get a larger tax refund.
There are many tax sites around the state that prepare tax returns for free for eligible families. Go to Prepare and Prosper or VITA or AARP tax preparation sites in Minnesota. You can also call United Way 2-1-1 by dialing 2-1-1 (651-291-0211 for cell phone users).
What to bring to get your taxes prepared:
- A picture identification card such as a driver’s license
- Cards showing Social Security Numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs) for each member of your family. You will also need to know birth dates for each family member.
- Year-end statements showing income received (W-2 or 1099 forms from all jobs or payments)
- Statements that show non-taxable income such as MFIP, SSI and MSA
- Receipts that show school expenses for children in kindergarten through 12th grade such as for pens, pencils, notebooks, folders, musical instruments, music lessons, etc.
- Financial statements showing what was paid or received in grants or loans for students in college, technical schools, or classes to improve job skills.
- Daycare expenses
- Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) if a renter or statements of mortgage interest, real estate and property taxes if a homeowner.
- List of charitable donations
- It is helpful to bring a copy of your last year’s tax return if you have it.
- Proof of citizenship or alien resident card.
Do not send original copies of your documents.